Know Before You Go
We've created this handy guide to help you every step of your Virtual Winter School experience – from getting started with Canvas, to joining live sessions, to making the most of your course. Please make sure to review this guide carefully before your course starts.
- Log in to Canvas early and familiarise yourself with the learning environment and your course
- To access Canvas, login to ecpr.instructure.com using the credentials sent to you by our Events Team
- If you encounter login issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check if any preparatory work has been allocated to your course in Canvas, such as pre-course readings, recordings and assignments
- Any pre-course work must be completed before the start of your course
- For queries regarding content hosted on platforms outside of Canvas, please contact your Instructor. Simply visit the 'Inbox' section in Canvas (far left on the menu bar) to access the messaging facility.
- Make sure you have familiarised yourself with class times; these are now indicated in your course outline. All class times are in Central European Time (CET)
- If you see two times indicated for your course (AM and PM), this means that the course is running twice per day, and the Instructor will divide participants into groups
- If you have a preference for the group you would like to be allocated to, please contact your Instructor
We think that everyone deserves a positive event experience. Please take a few moments to read our Code of Conduct which outlines our expectations regarding the conduct of participants at all our events.
- Links to join your live sessions will be added to your course in Canvas by your Instructor
- Before joining, familiarise yourself with features you may need to use – mute / unmute microphone, stop / start video, share screen, naming / renaming yourself, adding a virtual background, chat and the 'raise hand' feature
Not a Zoom pro? Get started and review this Attendee Controls guide.
- Make sure you are in a well-lit area
- Choose a quiet location and a neutral background, or use one of our virtual backgrounds instead. Just visit this page in Canvas, click on your preferred image and select 'download' at the top.
- Put your camera at face level
- Position yourself so that most of the light is coming from in front of you
- Consider using a headset
- Use cable internet connection or position yourself close to the router
- If your internet connection becomes unstable, turn off your video
- Removing a virtual background will also improve your device performance
- Join on time
- If you are happy to be identified, make sure your name is clearly indicated in Zoom. Use the Rename function to adjust
- If you want other people to see you, keep your camera on
- Be mindful of your camera and try to avoid being distracted by other tasks
- Mute yourself when not speaking
- Use 'raise hand' or chat features in Zoom to ask a question
- Find and click on the link to your live session in your course in Canvas
- Simply follow Zoom prompts to get connected
Thursday 18 March, 13:00 – 14:00 CET Panel on Research Opportunities and Challenges in the COVID-19 Era
Thursday 25 March, 13:00 – 14:00 CET Gender Differences in Political Methodology
View Daily Summary
Friday 19 March, 13:00 – 14:00 CET
Friday 26 March, 13:00 – 13:45 CET
Drop into the session on the last day of your course, for a relaxed chat with your favourite sandwich or lunch of your choice
View Daily Summary
We'd love to hear about your Virtual Winter School experience. Share your thoughts with us on Twitter using #ecprvms21.
Please take a few minutes to complete our survey. Your feedback really helps improve our events for scholars like you. The link to complete the survey will be circulated in Canvas on the last day of your course.
If you require support, please contact email@example.com. Our Events Team are available from 09:00 – 17:00 CET on weekdays for the duration of the school.
If you need to get in touch with your Instructor, visit the 'Inbox' section in Canvas (far left on the menu bar) to access the messaging facility.
If you've attended 100% of your course live sessions and completed pre-course assignments, your certificate of attendance will be emailed to you before 2 April 2021. Credit certificates will be sent by 14 May 2021.
Make the most of the course materials and pre-recorded lectures over the next few weeks.
Notice of photography/filming
ECPR may record all events in the form of photography, screen capture, filming, and audio recording of interactions such as discussions in plenary sessions. This media may be used by us to promote ECPR activities. These activities may include publishing it at ecpr.eu
, or using it in digital and email marketing, on social media, and in other promotional materials. If you do not want to appear in such media, please turn off your video and remove your name during the sessions. If you or any other participant want to take a screen capture for personal use, such as sharing on social media, you / they should request permission from the Instructor or session Moderator.