Public Opinion and Voting Behaviour in a Comparative Perspective
Number of members: 285
The main aim of the Standing Group on Public Opinion and Voting Behaviour in a Comparative Perspective is to facilitate communication and co-ordination among scholars working in the fields of comparative election research, elections to the European parliament and political attitudes and value orientations. Its aims are implemented by disseminating website information on current research and relevant upcoming events, sponsoring and coordinating Panel, Section and Workshop proposals for members who wish to submit them to professional conferences, and disseminate bibliographic databases, syllabi, other research tools and teaching aids relevant for scholars of public opinion and voting.
Constitution for the Standing Group on Public Opinion and Voting Behaviour in a Comparative Perspective
1. The European Consortium for Political Research Standing Group on Public Opinion and Voting Behaviour in a Comparative Perspective aims to facilitate communication and co- ordination among scholars working in these fields of political science. It aims at serving this community by:
· disseminating via its website information on current research and relevant upcoming events;
· sponsoring and coordinating panel, section and workshop proposals that members wish to submit for professional conferences;
· facilitating collaborative projects to collect and disseminate bibliographic databases, syllabi, other research tools and teaching aids relevant for scholars of public opinion and voting;
· promoting relevant training events (summer schools, replication workshops, etc.) in the field;
· providing links to web-based sources that are likely to be of interest to members;
· supporting by appropriate means any other initiatives.
2. In addition to scholars affiliated to an ECPR member-institution who automatically become members of the Standing Group if they register as such through MyECPR (subject to receipt of membership dues if required), others who may apply for membership can be admitted by the Standing Group Steering Committee if they show an active interest in scholarly study in the Standing Group’s field. Such membership becomes effective as soon as the Steering Committee informs ECPR Central Services of its decision (subject to receipt of membership dues if required).
3. The Standing Group is governed by a Steering Committee consisting of three members elected by and from the Standing Group members for a period of three years, renewable.
4. The Steering Committee shall comprise three members, one responsible for comparative research on each of the following three subfields:
a) General election and voting behaviour
b) European elections (to the European Parliament)
c) Political attitudes and values (public opinion).
Ideally, the respective members of the Steering Committee should undertake significant research within the field for which they are responsible.
There should also be some geographical spread in the Steering Committee.
5. At least two of the three members of the Steering Committee should be affiliated to an
6. An election committee comprising 5 SG members is elected at the business meeting the year before the election.
7. The election committee shall put forward their proposals at least two months prior to the ECPR General Conference, and the members should be informed through the newsletter. Other proposals should be presented to the election committee at least one month before the business meeting at the General Conference. The alternative candidates should also be associated with one of the subfields, and then challenge only the candidate from the election committee who is supposed to cover this subfield.
It is recommended that prior to the election that candidates issue a policy statement concerning what they intend to do as a member of the Steering Committee and for their subfield.
8. At its first meeting, the newly elected Steering Committee elects its own Convenor, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Convenor and Treasurer are affiliated to ECPR member institutions. The newly elected Convenor immediately notifies ECPR Central Services of the names and functions of the new Steering Committee.
9. A business meeting shall be held annually to which the Steering Committee invites all Standing Group members. The business meeting is held during the ECPR General Conference or, if appropriate, during the Standing Group’s main conference in a given year.
10. This Constitution can be amended by a two-thirds majority of the participants at the business meeting of the Standing Group.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin