How it works
Our Methods School offers complementary course types and categories, which add up to a full and comprehensive tuition package. The Winter School comprises:
- Short Courses – two days, Friday – Saturday
- Main Courses and Advanced Workshops – five days, Monday – Friday
These courses offer an introduction and tools useful for further courses. Typically, they are software training in preparation for a data analysis course.
- Friday: 13:00–15:00 and 15:30–18:00
- Saturday: 09:00–12:30 and 14:00–17:30
Courses involve three hours of class instruction per day. Should you wish to take two Main courses, AM + PM, please read the course outlines thoroughly. Most Main courses require additional work outside of the standard classes of three hours a day.
Monday – Friday
- AM 09:00–12:30
- PM 14:00–17:30
Workshops for scholars at an advanced stage of their research project, with at least some empirical material, and engaged in analysis of this material.
Monday – Friday: 09:00–12:30 and 14:00–16:00
- You may choose to take any course on its own or combine it with other courses.
- You can take up to three courses during the Winter School, for example: Short Course + Main Course AM + Main Course PM.
- Scheduling conflicts mean that some course types don't allow courses to be combined. To see when the course is scheduled, see the course type (second column from left) on the Course List.
If you are considering combining courses, please be aware that taking two courses in one day (e.g. AM + PM) will entail a heavy workload. Most Main courses require additional work on top of the three classroom hours each day. Before you book, please read the course outlines thoroughly and make sure you are confident you can cope with the schedule.
Our courses are categorised to help you decide which course best suits your needs. There are four types of Main Courses or Advanced Workshop:
- Research design/fundamentals An ‘upstream’ course enabling you to think about your research more broadly, so you can make informed choices about specific methods/techniques
- Data collection/generation A hands-on course focused on a specific method (or family of methods) for data collection or generation
- Data analysis (introductory) A hands-on course focused on a specific method (or family of methods) for data analysis, bringing you to a level of well-informed use
- Data analysis (advanced) A hands-on course focused on a specific method (or family of methods) for data analysis, bringing you to an expert level, including more recent refinements.
To be placed on a waiting list for cancellations on a fully booked course, email email@example.com.