Number of members: 165
The Standing Group on Interest Groups aims to facilitate and stimulate research on civil society, social movement organisations, business political activity, and lobbying, at all levels (local, regional, national, European and global). Membership of the Standing Group is open to everyone who is interested in cumulative research on any of these topics. While the Standing Group functions largely as a forum and an exchange network for interest group researchers, its activities include workshops, conferences and summer schools as well as facilitating communication among members through a mailing list. To subscribe to our mailing list, you can register here: https://listserv.uni-stuttgart.de/mailman/listinfo/ecpr-interest-groups. To visit our website, please use this URL:http://standinggroups.ecpr.eu/interestgroups
Constitution for the ECPR Standing Group on Interest Groups
1. The ECPR Standing Group on Interest Groups aims to contribute to the further development of teaching and scholarly research within the fields of interest group politics, including topics like lobbying and advocacy, civil society organizations, and business and politics, at all levels (local, regional, national, European and global). Its activities include, but are not limited to, workshops, conferences and summer schools as well as facilitating communication among members through a mailing list.
2. In addition to scholars affiliated to an ECPR member-institution, who can become members of the Standing Group if they register through MyECPR (subject to receipt of membership dues if required), others may apply for membership and can be admitted by the Standing Group Steering Committee if they show an active interest in the scholarly study of interest groups. Such membership becomes effective as soon as the Steering Committee informs ECPR Central Services of its decision.
3. There is no fee, but members are encouraged to make voluntary donations to the Standing Group to help fund its core ctivities.
4. The Standing Group is governed by a Steering Committee consisting of three members elected by and from the Standing Group members for a period of two years. Steering Committee Members are only permitted to serve a maximum of two consecutive terms.
5. At least half a year before the Steering Committee’s term of office expires, it invites candidates from among the Standing Group members to nominate themselves within one month. If after that deadline fewer than three candidates and/or fewer than two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions have nominated themselves, the nomination period is extended for another month.
6. If only three candidates have nominated themselves, including at least two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions, they are declared elected.
7. If more than three candidates have nominated themselves, but only two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions, the latter two candidates are declared elected; elections will be held only to assign the remaining seat on the Steering Committee to one of the candidates not yet declared elected.
8. If sufficient candidates have nominated themselves to have elections for all or part of the seats, the Steering Committee notifies ECPR Central Services within a month after 2 nominations have closed of the names of the candidates, and of the number of seats to be filled.
9. ECPR Central Services will notify all Standing Group members of the period within and manner by which they can cast their vote.
10. The electoral system is STV as used for ECPR Executive Committee elections.
11. If all three seats on the Steering Committee are to be filled, and the candidates who meet the electoral quota do not include at least two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions, the non-affiliated candidate meeting the electoral quota with the lowest number of votes is removed. This procedure is repeated until at least two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions are elected.
12. At its first meeting, the newly elected Steering Committee elects its own Convenor, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Convenor and Treasurer are affiliated to ECPR member institutions. The newly elected Convenor immediately notifies ECPR Central Services of the names and functions of the new Steering Committee.
13. Annually, a business meeting is held to which the Steering Committee invites all Standing Group members. The business meeting is normally held during the ECPR General Conference. If the ECPR General Conference does not take place in Europe in a given year, the meeting in that year may be held on another occasion than the ECPR General Conference.
14. This Constitution can be amended by a two-thirds majority of Standing Group members voting in an electronic ballot.
"Man is by nature a political animal" - Aristotle